We have a gob of different methods to destroy spammers on Newsvine and related services. One of the key ones are a group of power reporters. They are great and wonderful people who work together, mostly, through the Nation Newsvine Anti-Spam. This message is to help Sally and I make this is a bit easier for both the Moderators and our spam patrol.
What is spam?
The Code of Honor addresses this in its second clause. It is fully reprinted below;
No Self-Promotion Link
Newsvine's primary purpose is to provide a place for people to share and discuss topics relating to the news. Self-promotion, seeding links to your own site(s), and advertising are not allowed.
- Posting full articles (using the "Write Article" feature) that also appear on your blog or web site is acceptable but seeding your own stuff is not. Link
- Do not seed links to any sites you're affiliated with. Link
- Posting links to drive traffic elsewhere for personal or financial gain is prohibited. Link
- Nations that feature or allow a plurality of self-promoting or advertising articles/seeds may be retired and the Nation’s Admins suspended or banned. Link
This encompasses most spam, but not all of it. There are also bots that violate the third clause. Some organizations try to game search optimization by seeding stuff here to increase their weight. This is a clear violation of our Code.
How to report it?
Like most things on Newsvine there are three ways to report.
- Flag the comment using the flag feature.
- Click on the “Help” dropdown menu and choose from that menu the proper way to report.
- Go to http://support.newsvine.com/and start a discussion through there. It is especially useful to label this as spam or go directly to the Spam section of Support.
Is there other stuff that is helpful?
Yes, don't report non-spammers as spam. We eliminate spammers with little to no warning. Their content disappears so they cannot abuse search engines, so that our affiliated sites are not dinged in search, and to help our servers not get burdened with their garbage.
A spammer is gone, nearly forever. Less than 1% of 1% of eliminated spammers contact us and convince the Moderators that they are a real person trying to discuss the issues and ideas of our times. They are then given a clean slate and start over.
But if we take a spam report for a user that commits a different Code of Honor violation and we treat it like spam it means that someone's valuable content is destroyed, possibly to never return. It is a grievous error and takes a couple people making a mistake, but it is one that has happened more than once in the past month.
Labeling the type of spam helps too. It helps so we can make a note in the spammy's file for those that contact us and ask why they were banned. It can also help us discover patterns from certain organizations. Through conversations with spammys and the labels we get we've discovered that Newsvine is in an app designed to spam social media and that a press release advisory company considers Newsvine a primary target.
No, you gals and guys are amazing. About a third of our hours, even with the fancy new tool, are dedicated to spam stuff. Without you Newsvine would be more cluttered, ugly and just awful.
Seriously, thank you.